Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Good numbers, bad feelings :(

The big news is that Josh goes back to work tomorrow!  Happy and sad over here.  Happy he is able to go, but sad to be all alone during the day again!  I think I have truly forgotten how to take care of the kids all by myself! :)

You know he has been feeling SO great.  Really just light years better than before the diagnosis.  And then this last week things have seemed to regress.  He has been super exhausted and is having pains in his leg and knee.  They were so worrisome we contacted his trial nurse to see if we should have some more labs done.  They basically told us, "well, he still has leukemia."  Not really sure if that means this going back and forth between feeling well and feeling bad is normal.  But they told us he could have labs done today if "it would make us feel better."  Ummmmm, yes, it would make us feel better.

And basically there was nothing amiss.  So good, and kinda bad.  Bad cause evidently this is a side effect of the medicine.  It is so crazy that the side effects of the chemo are exactly the same as the symptoms of leukemia.  And I guess bad timing since he has to go back to work this week. They tested his thyroid just to make sure that was normal but we don't have those results yet.  Also kinda bummed that all his stuff wasn't back to normal.  Still waiting on the hemoglobin to get back up to the normal range.  He's close, though.  We don't go back till June 8th, which seems like such a long time.  I really need Lab Corp to open up an office right here in my dining room so I can check his counts whenever it strikes my fancy. :)

And seriously, folks, you HAVE to sign up to walk with us for Light the Night!  I've gotten to the point where I am directly telling people they need to join us.  They have to join us.  Like pretty much forcing, regardless of their resistance.  It will be fun!  Bring the kids and enjoy a nice evening being with friends and helping raise funds to fight cancer!!

So I'm passing Josh off to you UP folks tomorrow, so please take good care of him!  And don't stress him out!!!  Truly the last thing he needs.  He comes in for a first shift to catch up on what he has missed, but will be back to thirds on Friday night.  And please don't accidentally feed him grapefruit, pomegranates, or Seville oranges cause he can't have those and might have a heart attack right there in the office!  Whew.  I had to get that off my chest just in case anyone was going to force feed any of that stuff to him.

2 comments:

  1. good blog..For more on CML visit : http://dentistryandmedicine.blogspot.com/2011/05/chronic-myeloid-leukaemia.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, that IS scary! They only thing I can't have on Sprycel is grapefruit!

    ReplyDelete