Saturday, July 9, 2011

Twelve years!

It's so hard to imagine, but today is our twelve year anniversary!  Craziness, right?  I know without a doubt that twelve years ago we couldn't even imagine what was in store for us in the coming years.  But I do know that all my dreams came true when I married this man - the one and only person that God created for me to do life with. 

We did not have a wedding, cause there were no funds for it.  For a while we were engaged and just kind of thought that somehow, magically, a wedding would happen.  But when we realized that was out of the picture we picked a random day a few weeks away and made an appointment with the Justice of the Peace in College Station.  Not exactly the most romantic thing ever, but I am over it now! ;)  Back then I was pretty sad about missing out on the wedding hoopla.  We even had dreams of renewing our vows with an actual wedding 5 or 10 years down the road.  But when we hit those milestones it was already SO unimportant to me it didn't even cross my mind.  :)

Josh and I have never had the funds for extravagant gifts, and today is no exception to that.  I can honestly say the best gift I could have been given is the two months Josh was home with us after his diagnosis.  It was so amazingly nice to get to spend so much time with him.  All day, all night.  Every shopping trip, errand, and playdate.  As he was getting ready to go back to work last month we discussed that this was the most time we have spent together in the last 12 years.  It reminded me very much of the first few months after we started dating my freshman year at A&M.  We were so hopelessly head over heals we spent every single moment together, much to the detriment of our grades and other friendships.  It was an unexpected gift to get to have that much time together again, which we probably won't ever have again while we are young.

I have loved Josh since I was 16 years old and we met working at Oshman's Super Sports.  I got that job because I figured it was a good place to meet guys, and I was right!  I liked 2 guys there - Josh and the boy I dubbed "fine guy in bikes."  Luckily Josh won out!  I was pretty persistent - even though I told him I liked him the next year, he told me he didn't feel the same way.  But I wasn't to be turned away - I followed him to A&M.  Luckily I was able to convince Corrie to go with me so I didn't look like too much of a stalker! ;)  And I snared him and he didn't even know what happened!!  LOL

Anyways, I love thinking about how we fell in love and how wonderful it was, and it always makes me realize that it still is wonderful.  He is truly the only person that would put up with me for this long, and I am well aware that I am not an easy person to love.  He talks me down when I get worked up about things and knocks the sense into me that I almost always need.  He even makes me laugh when I'm furiously angry, and he's the only person who can get away with such shenanigans.  I got him a father's day card that explains exactly how I feel.  It reads, "I love you, I love us, I love our family."  Perfectly said.

2 comments:

  1. Awh! Happy Anniversary!!! I am so glad you shared these pictures! I didn't know you got married at the JOP. We did too! Ha I HATE HATE HATE weddings! We said we would throw a huge party in 10 years to celebrate making it... instead we are having another baby ha. :) You and Josh were made for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post!! I'll never forget your sweet love story. I'm so glad you picked Josh over FGIB. :) Josh, I'm so glad you finally wised up!! We love y'all!

    ReplyDelete